2 tbsp olive oil
olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
50g / 1.8 ounces pitted green olives, chopped
handful basil leaves, chopped
125g / 4.4 ounces ball vegetarian mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
handful fresh white breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 220C/ 425F/ 200C fan/ 390F fan / gas 7.
- Slice the aubergines in half lengthways, leaving the stem intact. Using a small knife, cut a border inside each aubergine about ½-1cm (.4 inch) thick.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out the aubergine flesh, so that you have 4 shells. Brush these with a little of the oil, season and place in a baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining oil to a non-stick frying pan. Tip in the onion and cook until soft.
- Tip in the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 3 mins more. Stir in olives, basil, mozzarella and seasoning.
- Allow to cool for 5-6 mins, once cooled, add mix to a bowl with breadcrumbs and toss together.
- Once ingredients are blended together, pile stuffing into shells and sprinkle with some mozzarella.
- I ke for 15-20 mins, until the cheese is gooey and the breadcrumbs are golden. Serve with a green salad. I